*Please note that Duende is currently closed for submissions, but will reopen on October 15, 2016. We will remain open year-long for submissions of Visual Art.
THE BRASS TACKS:
1) We accept only these file formats for writing: doc, docx, and pdf. And for images: jpg or png. If you are concerned about formatting changes when your files are opened on different computers, please submit PDFs only.
2) We ask you to send work in only one genre—considering “hybrid work” to be its own genre—per submission. Please place your submission into one file. (That is to say, if you are submitting five poems, then send them all in one document. If you are sending two poems and one short story, please submit twice, once in each genre. If you are submitting translations of three short stories, please place both the short stories and the original texts in one file. Label clearly, in English, the source texts.
3) All submissions must be made via Submittable, no exceptions. We do accept simultaneous submissions. However, kindly drop us a message if your work is accepted elsewhere. Please message us directly in submittable, as opposed to emailing us.
4) We only accept work during our submissions windows. We will open again for submissions in October for Issue 5.
5) Please let us know why you have chosen to submit to Duende—we are delighted to make new friends—and how you heard about us. Please include a short bio, but know that, for us, it’s all about the writing.
6) Submitting to Duende is free. We are grateful for the opportunity to review your work. We do not pay writers or artists for their work.
7) We do not accept unsolicited book reviews.
8) Duende is a group of full-time undergraduate students, all volunteers, who live all over the United States. Our academic schedule is non-traditional and we meet face-to-face only once during each semester. Please be patient with us. We might need up to six months to reply to your submission. If you haven’t heard from us in six months, please feel free to drop us an email and check in. Thank you!
Please submit no more than 5 poems, as one file.
Please submit fiction of no more than 7,500 words.
Submit work of no more than 2,500 words.
We welcome translations!
Please include the source language text and confirm that you have the author’s permission to translate and publish the text in English.
Until further notice, this category is open/judged on a rolling basis. We accept files in these formats: jpg, pdf, png.
***Please submit only Visual Art pieces to this category. Any poetry or prose submitted here will not be considered or responded to.